Monday 30 April 2007

Boca Juniors


Boca Crowd

Boca Juniors played a second leg of the Libertad Cup against Bolivar, a team from Bolivia. If the another match in the competition being played at the same time ended in a win, with a win themselves Boca would go through to the next round. During the first leg in Bolivia Boca fans got out of hand and there were violent clashes. As a punishment they couldn't play the second leg at their home ground. So on Thursday night with a group from the hostel, I made my way to River Plate's stadium in another area of Buenos Aires. I bought a blue and yellow Boca scarf, as I wrapped it around my neck I felt a sudden change, I felt the need to riot and eat beef. Fortunately I shook of the feelings and enjoyed the night.
We arrived at the stadium early, we were able to watch the stadium slowly fill. We watched the Boca brass band arrive and fans scale the back wall of the stadium, so they could dance. From the outset the fans were loud and boisterous, my scarf left me no choice but to join in. The kick off was 9.20, with a selection of Maradona's goals being played on a giant screen in the final minutes before the whistle blew. Dotted around the stadium were Maradona flags and banners, he is a God here.
Boca looked the stronger side from the outset, their players towered over the Bolivians. It was the difference you notice when Liverpool dominate Everton, it almost didn't seem fair.


Excited fans

The first goal for Boca came as I was watching a popcorn seller thinking, "um should I?" I learned my lesson and for the rest of the match watched the pitch. Thankfully I saw all of the following 6 goals. Yes that's right, Boca won 7-0. It was completely one sided, Palacio even wasted a few chances. The crowd sang for the full 90 minutes, drowning out the 20 travelling Bolivian fans. Quite the experience for my first match in South America, of course now I have to see a game in Brazil, but maybe I won't take my Boca scarf.


The magic scarf

No comments: