Sunday 8 April 2007

Star Gazing


Last night I went on an organised tour of a public observatory in Vicuña, an hour from La Serena. I don´t know very much about astronomy, but I love to look up and gaze at a clear night sky, even if I don´t know what I´m looking at. There are no clearer skies than here in Northern Chile, that is why all the international observatories are located in this area.
With the naked eye it was possible to see the Milky Way and our guide pointed out the Southern Cross, that can only be seen in the Southern Hemisphere. We could also see Magellan´s cloud´s (two small galaxies), and then we had a look through the telescope. It has a 12 inch lens and it was possible to see Saturn and a Nebula. We also gazed at star clusters. It really was a great night, I´ll remember to look up more often.

3 comments:

Gayle Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gayle Scott said...

Sorry deleted scribble by Emily, she wanted to tell you that she has been to the pictures to see Mr Bean's holiday, (awful film). I read your blog and she feels the need to update you on what shes been doing. She doesn 't realise she just cannot compete!

Love from Gayle xx

little chief said...

Ah that sounds like Emily! Tell her I'm very jealous she got to see Mr Bean before me.

xx