Thursday 19 April 2007

Mendoza

I think I´m in love with Argentina, yes I know it´s a little fast and we don´t know each other well, but I feel very at home here on the tree lined streets of Mendoza. Maybe because it looks European, maybe because they have great shops, but maybe it´s something a little deeper. We do have our differences, Argentina likes it´s meat, okay this is a complete understatement. Arriving at hostel Damajuana, on Tuesday I was offered a ticket to a BBQ, I asked will there be anything other than meat? The reply, yes chicken. Umm anything other than "chicken", um we could cook you a sweet potato.
All great loves have there difficulties, taking the ham off a tuna sandwich isn´t brilliant, but I´ve learned it is possible. Waiting for restaurants to open at 10pm at night isn´t easy on my digestion, but I think I can change.
Watching the Argentina vs Chile match in a bar last night I found myself cheering for Argentina (no I haven´t forgotten the hand of God incident), but after all being British I feel responsible for Argentina´s hate for Chile. Apparently Chile allowed British troops access to Argentina during the Falklands. What can you say, we get everywhere.
I may find it frustrating that everything shuts between 1 and 5pm, but I can learn to take naps. And hey if you say you are going to be somewhere at a set time, why not be late? Really what does it matter? It´s only time.
Yes I think I could quite easily stay here. But then there´s a sun lounger somewhere on a white stretch of Brazilian beach with my name on it. Maybe another time Argentina.

The streets of Mendoza.

2 comments:

Gayle Scott said...

Harry said....
thankyou for my latest pictures, can you take some more of fans and when you take pictures of cars please make sure you take a side picture so I can see the wheels. Also be very careful when you are standing in the middle of the road so you don't get run over by a fast car. love Harry xxx

little chief said...

Thanks Harry, I'll try to remember all that, especially the part about standing in the middle of the street!
Love you,
Karen
xxx