Thursday 10 April 2008

Your Very Own Jacques Cousteau

"What do you mean I missed the briefing? I was sitting out on the deck the whole time."
I don't know how but I missed the intro dive briefing. Let me wind this back a moment. Thanks to Tropic Days I had a free trip to the Great Barrier Reef, with the tour company Passions of Paradise. Personally I think any tour with a name as wonderful sounding as Passions of Paradise doesn't need marketing, it should sell itself.
I wanted to do a dive as much as an Islamic extremist wants a McDonald's franchise. But it was free. I felt I HAD to do it, forget the feelings of claustrophobia, the fear of open water and generally being a poor swimmer, I knew if I didn't dive today I never would.
Thankfully after some sympathetic and not so sympathetic looks from the crew they agreed I could do a dive, if I went into the group for the "nervous" folk. Are you kidding I was made for the nervous group.
We approached our first stop, Michaelmas Cay. I joined the "nervous" folk at the back of the catamaran and we were each assigned a tank and actually I've just realised I have no idea what any of the kit is called. You see the briefing wasn't really a briefing at all, as everyone else knew what to do. The weight of the tank and "stuff" is incredible, when I first tried to stand, with flippers and a face mask, it was a tremendous effort not to fall back into my seat.
I made the most ungracious exit from the catamaran, kind of sliding off into the sea, all the while trying to cling onto a rope at the back of the catamaran.
Eventually having the courage to put my head under the water, I felt like Roger Moore in that Bond movie where he's chased by Jaws underwater. The sound of my own breathing filled my ears, I felt like I was watching a movie as a turtle swam by. In the "nervous" group, we stuck together with our own personal dive master, a guy I kid you not looked like a pirate, with a bald head and earring, he was just missing an eye patch.
Once I got used to the strange sensation of being able to breathe underwater, I had an awesome time. I'd heard from many guests, disappointed stories of how the coral is dull and nothing like photographs. This might be so (it has been damaged by pollution), but for me it was still incredible, but then it was a whole new experience.


Like I need the sign to make me look dumb...

Looking ridiculous, but I need photographic proof, of the dive, not me looking ridiculous

We went to about 10 meters depth, not far I know but for us nervous folk a great distance. I shivered from the cold and a little adrenaline I think. We saw all kinds of fish and turtles and of course coral.

I returned to the surface, giddy with delight. I invested in the "official" photographs, here are some of my favourites.

Michealmas Cay, our first dive spot.




It was one of my highlights of my time in Australia, a brilliant day.

No comments: