Monday 14 April 2008

Catching up time in Perth

I arrived in Perth with a long to do list, all very dull stuff- claim tax back, get all payslips together, contact old employers, go to the dentist (oh the joys) close Australian bank account, get malaria tablets and spend some time online uploading photo's etc. Now I know most of you hold down jobs, it's not really that much to do, but amongst the usual chaos of finding accommodation, somewhere to get online, another etc, well it all took far too long. However I did manage to do some sightseeing around Perth. But more importantly I was able to meet up with some old friends. By a twist of fate, Angie an old friend from Junior school, but we'd lost touch in recent years, moved to Perth 6 weeks ago. Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, we arranged a reunion. Oddly enough another school friend, Gav, moved to Perth last November, so we were able to have a "Woodfall Juniors Reunion" in Fremantle.
As Angie hasn't started work yet (slacker) we were able to meet for lunch in the week. I got to meet Angie's son Archie (extremely cute) when the three of us had lunch at Cottesloe Beach. The beaches on the West Coast are amazing, yet so empty. I think that's the main thing I noticed in the little time I had on the West, you really do feel like you have the place to yourself.

Archie - the cutie!

Angie and Archie on Cottesloe Beach

It was great to catch up with Angie and hear about her life with Trev and Archie, I just wish we hadn't lost touch in the first place.
On Saturday night it was time for a reunion. The three of us met in Fremantle (where I was staying at this point), it's a city (in the way Australians call towns cities) about 15k from Perth with trendy shops and markets, yet it doesn't feel pretentious. Again, considering how nice it is, there really aren't many people around.
It was great to catch up with Angie and Gav and be able to talk about so long ago, yes we are THAT old!

Gav, me and Angie - Woodfall Reunion

Angie and Gav

Me and Angie a few years ago...actually at Gayle and Dave's engagement party. Check out my Ronaldo style neck!

No comments: