Friday 11 April 2008

Fraser Island - I can't always be creative with the titles

Fraser Island is the world's largest sand island, amazingly it is home to a rainforest (the only place on Earth were this ecosystem exists) and a number of beautiful freshwater lakes.
I left Tropic Days and Cairns abruptly, far more abruptly than planned. After my last shift I headed out for the night with friends I'd made at the hostel, Paul also joined us - thankfully no longer looking like Alf. I spent the following day organising myself. On Wednesday I would catch an early flight to Brisbane, then catch the skytrain from the airport to the city and then catch a bus that would take five hours to reach Hervey Bay. The latter is the starting point for most trips to Fraser Island. I was signed up for a three day, two night self drive 4wd tour. I would be put into a group of ten and we would be given a suggested itinerary, menu and camping gear. Oh and a shovel to dig ourselves out of the sand.
However Wednesday morning I was woken by Michele and Mari (staff at Tropic Days) telling me I'd overslept (it was 6.53), my 6.50am airport shuttle was waiting outside.
Mari had told me the night before she doesn't like goodbyes. I think I said my quickest goodbyes yet! I woke poor Yuka and quickly bolted for the bus, it was on the bus I finished dressing.
Some hours later, after a much delayed bus journey I arrived at Hervey Bay after ten at night, exhausted but excited by what lay ahead.
Thirty people were signed up for the tour, not everyone could drive, but drivers were assigned to groups randomly. My group of ten had 4 drivers, me included.
We were all shown a DVD to advise us how to stay safe on the island. Fraser has a very delicate ecosystem and the narrative advised minimising our footprint. The DVD also had a comical section on how to deal with dingo's. Fraser Island has the purest dingo's in Australia. The wild dogs have been known to attack children and even adults. The DVD suggested never walking alone on the island and for some strange reason if you see a dingo cross your arms over your chest and walk backwards. The virtues of this move were never explained but kept us all entertained.
I immediately recognised two people in my group as previous guests of Tropic Days. I had driven Bastiun and Tina, a German couple, on many occasions. It was great to see some familiar faces and the chance to catch up.
I soon learned that Ben and Sam (brothers) in my group are from Bebington, about 5 miles from my hometown and Sam is actually friends with my cousin Alan. Small world hey?
We collected our 4wd (Toyota, Harry) and headed to the supermarket for supplies. Afterwards we drove to the ferry and set sail on a 40 minute journey to Fraser Island. I've had some pretty poor weather by Australian standards, while I've been here, but my time on Fraser was blessed with only blue skies.
After letting down our tires a little, for driving on the sand, we followed the suggested itinerary and headed to Lake Wabby.

Lake Wabby

Taking in the view

First group photo...

I think the photographs speak for themselves. It was wonderful to swim in the cool freshwater of Lake Wabby, although we were all a little spooked by the depth of the water.
We set up camp alongside the other groups on the island's Eastern beach, under an amazingly clear sky, with the Southern Cross blazing above.

First night's camp

The second day involved beach driving (we had the tide times on our itinerary) and stops at Eli Creek (unbelievably clear water), the Maheno shipwreck, Champagne Pools and the vantage point of Indian Head.

Beach driving

Another group shot at the Maheno shipwreck

My feet in the clear water of Eli Creek

Tina, Vicky and Bonny

Ellie, Kate and Ben

A bumpy ride!

For our second night we once again camped at the beach, there were so many groups about it turned into one huge beach party.

I don't think dancing on the roof was covered in our jeep insurance policy...


We got some advice for our last day and decided to visit Lake Birrabeen as well as the famous Lake McKenzie.
A trip to Fraser Island is largely about swimming as often as possible, the water is absolutely amazing. Thanks to climate change the planet is obviously changing drastically, but Fraser Island, with it's clear waters is awe inspiring, I hope it remains this way.

White sands of Lake Birrabeen

Dingo at Lake McKenzie

A note on driving, this was my first time driving a four wheel drive, and although the clutch was heavy, it was a lot of fun. It was great to drive on sand tracks that are constantly changing. I had a "Goonies" moment driving along the beach, although having to keep an eye out for airplanes taking off and landing as the beach is also a runway was stressful!
We left Fraser feeling exhausted and very dirty (no showers for 3 days!), but having had a brilliant time. Fraser Island, another highlight to my time in Australia.

The journey back to the mainland

3 comments:

Brian said...

Hey Girl -

Excellent post! I visited Fraser in 2006, then came back for a month in April 2007 just to film. It's truly one of the most amazing places on earth, eh?

I actually just started selling my DVD online at www.sanddownunder.com if you're interested.

Blog On!

Brian

little chief said...

thanks Brian, I'll take a look,

Karen

Anonymous said...

Fraser Island from the air is really cool too, gives you a completely different vantage point.

http://blog.thecheaproute.com/fraser-island-by-air/

Good stuff