Thursday 10 April 2008

Photographs from Cape Tribulation


Cruise on the Daintree

I was able to get two days off together at the start of my time at Tropic Days. This gave me the opportunity to do an overnight trip to Cape Tribulation. Cape Tribulation is where Rainforest meets reef, about 2 hours drive north of Cairns. The trip included a boat ride to spot crocodiles on the Daintree River and a swim at Mossman Gorge.

Aboriginals used to bury their dead inside these trees, this was until Captain Cook and his men cut one down to use the wood to repair a boat. Gaz - this has to work it's way into a script, if anyone can do it....


Croc in the Daintree

I met some great people on the tour and we went out for a few drinks in the evening. Our hostel was quite far from the "action", now I say "action", it was a bar and four middle aged men playing Fleetwood Mac covers. The tide was in so the walk back to the hostel meant walking on the road, traffic isn't a problem. However wildlife is, I was particularly concerned about seeing a Cassowary. They are incredibly rare and most people look forward to seeing one, but I had no wish to encounter a 6ft chicken on a dark road.
I had my torch in hand and was busily chatting away, when the guys walking behind us yelled out. It appears we had walked over a 2 metre long snake.

I took this photo from a safe distance and then ran, although it's hard to make out what type of snake it is.


Tribulation beach, a short walk from the hostel.


At Alexanders Point


On the drive home we stopped at Port Douglas

No comments: