Tuesday 15 April 2008

Singapore

I arrived in Singapore on Monday evening and I'm moving onto Malaysia tonight. No it's not really that bad, I just have less time left to see a lot and need to be in Ko Pha-Ngan by Sunday to meet up with friends.
Singapore is a real melting pot, for me it's the first country I've visited where I've had no idea how to identify a local. There is such a mix of ethnicity's, but somehow it works. Singapore is obviously very affluent compared to much of S.E.Asia and for me a good introduction.
I'm staying in Little India, which surprisingly is full of Indians! I've found a great restaurant, thanks to a little publication called Lonely Planet and by Singapore's standards its cheap.
Singapore is famous for it's giant, exclusive shopping malls. Yesterday I took a wander around the Orchard Road area, where most of the shops are and was surprised to find a Marks and Spencers, see Mum you could live here. I also walked to the Botanic Gardens, it isn't very far, but with the humidity was too far.

Inspiration will you wait

The transport system is really good, air-conditioned buses, air-conditioned underground system and inspiring quotes on display, what more could a public want. Oh yes that's right a mobile phone signal underground.
My bus leaves Singapore at 9pm tonight and I will arrive in Penang at 8am tomorrow morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed!

5 comments:

athina said...

Hey hey!

I don't know if you remember Dorothee Vernier from our course (half german - half indian), she spent something like 1-2 years in Singapore and I don't know why I'm telling you this!

It's already soooo bloody hot here, the weather has gone completely bananas.. I incidentally read an e-mail I sent you about a year ago and my news is more or less the same (how pathetic is that?), so something grand has to happen before I write you again!

Take care my dear!
Athena.

athina said...

Hey hey!

I don't know if you remember Dorothee Vernier from our course (half german - half indian), she spent something like 1-2 years in Singapore and I don't know why I'm telling you this!

It's already soooo bloody hot here, the weather has gone completely bananas.. I incidentally read an e-mail I sent you about a year ago and my news is more or less the same (how pathetic is that?), so something grand has to happen before I write you again!

Take care my dear!
Athena.

athina said...

How did I do that??

little chief said...

I got all excited because I saw "3 comments", you really are making up the numbers! I don't care if your news is the same I want to hear it!
I have been in touch with Dorothee on Facebook, she has a very low opinion of Singapore.
In Thailand now - happy with how cheap everything is, the food is amazing too,
Take care,
Karen

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.