Friday 13 July 2007

The Perfect Day

I woke this morning to clear blue skies, in every direction there are amazing views. One of the regulars at the hostel had recommended a trip out to Turquoise Lake, so I drove the 4 or so miles out to the nearest point of the Lake. I parked alongside some RV's, that thankfully left my car in the shade.
Armed with my camera, water, insect spray and sun lotion I set off on trail that circles the lake. I knew I couldn't manage the whole trail, I'm still not used to the altitude. No serious trouble, just shortness of breath and incredibly thirsty all the time.

There were quite a few cyclists, horse riders, hikers and runners on the trail. The trail hugs the lake, I passed a number of fishermen and women. The lake is also used for wake boarding. Unfortunately this makes huge waves.

Flowers by the Lake
I saw a lot of wildlife too, they have a guidebook here in the hostel that's helped me identify some of what I saw. There are so many Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrel, yes I had to look that one up.

They are friendly little things.

I stopped to chat to a friendly fisherman, he's been coming to Leadville since 1985, he spoke like Clint Eastwood. He told me all about his life as shoe store owner in Nebraska. Apparently I'd just missed another English person. I told him there's a lot of us travelling right now.

Clint with his catch, yes he put it back.


It was so peaceful out on the lake. I think I'll let the photo's do the talking.

Gnarly pieces of wood.


I snapped this from the car
I've been invited to join the guys at the hostel tonight to eat the catch of the day, a great end to a perfect day.

Thankfully I didn't see any of these.

No comments: