Saturday 21 July 2007

Las Vegas



I'm staying at a really nice hostel on Fremont Street. The temperatures often reach over 100 degrees in the morning, so having a pool becomes very important. They also have a water pipe draped some 20ft in the air with tiny holes cut into it to create a fine mist.
I decided to venture out of the hostel (I flew in from Denver Friday afternoon) and head towards the "Fremont Street Experience" covered part of the street. I think the part of Fremont the hostel is on is probably know as the "crystal meth hell Fremont experience". I soon realised this isn't the best neighbourhood when I overheard a conversation between two men on the street. One was saying, "I don't want to go to jail for someone right now". It was obviously something he was willing to re-consider in the future.
I walked a little faster, expecting a fairly leisurely 15 minute walk. By the time I stumbled into an air conditioned Irish bar I felt like Lawrence of Arabia, only hotter and slightly delirious.
I ordered water and decided I needed food too. A bucket of shrimp and chips arrived a moment later. Yes I mean an actual bucket, the silver coloured type usually used to hold champagne. As is the norm in American restaurants, a kitchen towel was on hand, not a few squares, but a whole roll. I decided in a sunstroke sort of way, I'm meant to make a plate. I began folding the squares of towel and placing some shrimp and chips from the bucket onto my "plate". Dispensing of the salt was equally challenging. It was in a Corona bottle, yes the sort that normally holds Mexican beer. I tried to prize open the top, thinking this is going to be a very salty meal. As the waitress arrived at my table with a plate I realised the top of the Corona bottle was a regular salt shaker.

No comments: