Thursday 12 July 2007

Leadville

I arrived in Leadville around midday from Granby. I'd heard Leadville was a good place to visit, it's an old mining town proud of it's history with great access to nearby mountains and trails. It also holds a lot of famous endurance races and bike contests.
The drive to Leadville took about 2 hours, but that was with a few stops to take photo's and take a look around.

And the rain came.
Leadville is quite a pretty town, that has plenty of hiking opportunities. The Leadville Hostel
is a really nice homely place to stay, it seems to be full of regulars, mostly retired guys interested in hiking the local area.
I was originally going to stay for one night, but as I have a six bed dorm to myself and they have a huge plasma tv, library, films, pool tables and a great kitchen I plan to stay two nights.

Lake near Leadville

It also started to rain when I arrived, luckily I got my stuff out the car before the hail and then the full on thunder storm. It was quite the spectacle. Being this high up (10,000ft) it's a lot cooler. Hopefully if the weather is clear tomorrow I'm going to take a hike around a lake nearby.

Dorm room, Emily they even have Barbie bedding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen

That lake looks perfect. It certainly beats a cold Bala lake in North Wales even in the summer, hmmm I know where I'd like to be. It makes me want to dig out my old kayak and go paddling, although with weather here right now I might have too.

An email is on its way I promise.

keep on trekking , ( I'm not suggesting your a star trek fan by that remark by the way )

Stuart
x

little chief said...

Thanks Stu, I will be in touch about kayaking tips!