Monday 25 June 2007

Tales from the City

I started this trip with a bohemian grace, a dishevelled independence, a dollop of free will and with my Mother. Yes I know hardly cool, but I invited my Mum to join me for a few days in New York. My Mum managed to get a seat next to mine on the flight from Manchester to JFK.

Me and my Mum in Central Park

It's my second trip to New York, but my Mum's first. We stayed in Midtown, near to my Mum's places of worship, Macy's, Bloomingdale's and 5th Ave.
The first time I visited New York (to celebrate the Millennium with Stu), I was amazed by the scale of the city, the simple design of the grid system, the height of the buildings and the energy of the city.

Empire State Building

After a remarkably fast flight (something to do with an unheard of tailwind) we arrived in Manhattan mid-afternoon. My Mum's first request? A cup of tea.
The next morning we took a trip to the observatory at the top of the Empire State Building. As we were queuing to enter the final elevator, a young man ushered us in front of a blue screen to have a photo taken. My Mum has a habit of talking just as the camera clicks. This time was no different, we have a great photo of my Mum mid-sentence and me, of course effortlessly posing.


Mum at the top of the Empire State Building.

The next day we decided (my Mum) to take a look in Bloomingdale's and general wander around some shops.
During the 5 days we had together we also went on the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan, this is a fascinating 3 hour tour. Tried boating in Central Park, it turns out I have an incredibly strong right arm (or should that be incredibly weak left arm) and if you ever need to row in a circle let me know. Most of the time my Mum and I were laughing too much to row. It was a beautiful day to spend in the park and we also watched a baseball match for a while.

Boating in circles.

Still going in circles...

The weather wasn't typical New York heat, but I think my Mum was grateful. Although when we decided to take a tour of Downtown on the popular Greyline, hop on, hop off open top bus the heavens opened. After some food at the South Street Seaport (a Bob the Builder concert was going on...) we were drenched waiting for a bus, thankfully we were given delightful plastic poncho's to wear.

Getting wet touring NYC

I think my Mum had a good time in New York even if in her own words, she wouldn't "live there for a big clock" and also had some trouble understanding the American accent. I put this down to not watching enough films.

Doing the tourist thing

Taken on the Circle Line

No comments: