Friday 29 June 2007

New Orleans

It was with some trepidation I decided to include New Orleans on this trip, but I'm so glad I did.
Before arriving I'd read about the French Quarter, the Garden District and the famous above ground cemetery's. My plan was to take a tour and figure things out from there. What amazed me was how much New Orleans has to offer tourists. I took a tour of the city, a trip to the swamp, a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi and watched "Hurricane on the Bayou" at the local IMAX. I really could have stayed longer.
Post Katrina most of the news out of New Orleans (at least in the UK) is the lengthy time it is taking to rebuild parts of the city. The 9th Ward is still in ruins and it must be asked if this happened in Florida would it take so long to rebuild? Seeing the terrible destruction the hurricane caused, one asks the question why rebuild? But many locals have made that decision, while others are waiting for their insurance companies to pay out before they eagerly rebuild. I guess it comes down to human nature, people rise to the challenge. New levees are being built and old ones re-enforced. Some are building higher, with homes on 10 foot stilts.




House in the French Quarter.

No comments: