Wednesday 27 June 2007

Melrose, MA

My late sister Gina, spent a year working as a nanny in Boston. This was around 1986, I was delighted when Gina sent me a parcel from the States. I still have the baseball mitt and practice ball, but the Reece's pieces are long since gone. However I do still like to pick up a bag whenever I can.
Gina was a nanny for two boys, one around my age at the time, 9 and a sibling about 2 years younger. Gina never really had a fondness for children (Harry being the exception, unfortunately she didn't get to know the Emily we all love) so I guess our parents were surprised with her move to Boston. I think it had a lot more to do with living somewhere new (she'd spent a year in Germany when she was 17) and generally having a good time.
We unfortunately don't have any contact details for the family she worked for during this time, but do know she worked in Melrose, just outside Boston.
I mentioned to Gerry it would be great to see Melrose and take some photographs. Ever the perfect host Gerry drove me around Melrose, before he gave me a tour of Concord.
These are some of the photo's I took of Melrose, I know Mum you've been waiting to see them.




A typical home in Melrose


Gina used to run a lot, we saw quite a few runners on the streets of Melrose.



No comments: