Saturday 18 August 2007

When will I learn my lesson???

Greyhound sucks! Rather than take a bus to the Emeryville train station (just outside San Francisco), a train to Bakersfield and then a bus to L.A. I decided to take the express Greyhound bus from San Francisco direct to L.A, taking seven and a half hours. Supposedly.
Well as you can probably guess, it didn't go to plan. An hour and a half into the journey I woke up to find us parked on the side of the interstate. The driver informed us the bus had overheated. A few moments later a State Trooper told our driver he had to find a safer place to park. Once the bus had cooled down enough he managed to move us a mile up the highway and take an exit road.
We were allowed to get out of the bus and step into the heat, to find, well, nothing. We were in the middle of nowhere. And there we waited for four and a half hours.

Middle of Nowhere.

Greyhound sent out two mechanics and even though they knew the fan belt had broken they didn't bring a replacement. They didn't bring any water either, even though there were a number of really small children and old people on board. So we had to wait while the mechanics went off in search of a fan belt.
Richard, the guy sitting next to me phoned the customer service helpline. He was told there is no refund if Greyhound get you to your destination. Apparently it doesn't matter how long that takes.

The bus going nowhere.

I'm so pleased to think I don't have anymore overland internal trips planned, I'm free of Greyhound!

No comments: