Wednesday 8 August 2007

Discovery Islands Tour

Sometimes I get a little behind on this blog. It makes it hard to recall all the facts and details. But I'm going to surge ahead with this account as tomorrow I set off on a nineteen hour train journey to San Francisco.
After another bad bus journey (from Seattle to Portland) that took only three hours but was running two hours late, I'm looking forward to a spacious Amtrak carriage. I also have a stack of books to read having visited Powell's City of Books here in Portland, and it is now my favourite book store. It also happens to be the largest independent, new and used bookstore in the world!
After boarding a number of Greyhound buses and experiencing the delights of my fellow passengers quirky ways, from the 500lb pyjama clad woman, to the couple with blackened teeth I was pushed over the edge by a teenage girl boarding my bus to Portland with balloon animals. Yes balloon animals. It took her ten minutes to negotiate her way along the aisle to her seat, fellow passengers were left in her wake with static hair and thoroughly annoyed expressions.
However this post is not meant to be about my grievances with America, I'll get to that in another post, no now I want to write about my experiences kayaking in British Columbia.
I arrived on Quadra Island with trepidation, having never kayaked before and not really liking the sea, I began to think, why have I signed up for a 5 day sea kayaking trip?
The shock really hit me as we began (as a newly introduced group) to load our possessions, food and camping gear into our kayaks and after a quick introduction by our guides Jesse and Sandra, walked our kayaks into the sea. The sea was cold.
I had not considered the cold. Only a small problem for most, I however have been known to develop hypothermia when the central heating is turned down a notch. In our flat in West London, Kev and Gaz would often come home and find me under a blanket with several layers on and a hot water bottle pressed against my body, trying to get warm. I can only blame my Dad for this, it is after all hereditary. My Dad once complained when a friend (sleeping over) left a window open a jar all night. My Dad swore he could feel the draft in the next room. It was June.
I was teamed up with Richard in a two person kayak. As a group we were unusually light on couples (only two) and required lots of single person tents. Something else I hadn't considered, I would be sleeping alone in a tent in the wild! I was suddenly very grateful for my flashlight and extra batteries.


How evil looking is this tent?!

Me on the water.

We left Rebecca Spit for lunch on a small island off Quadra. Throughout the trip Jesse and Sandra cooked delicious meals. After paddling for an hour or so, as soon as we stepped out of the kayaks into the icy cold water (only a slight exaggeration) all the heat I had accumulated paddling evaporated and I was covered in goosebumps!
The weather on the first day was decidedly British, dark skies, a little wind and a sense of impending doom. Thankfully by the evening we had the type of beautiful weather we experienced for the rest of the trip.
I think I was really lucky to be in a group with a large number of singles and very friendly people. We all got along from the outset (putting aside your snoring Trevor) and spent a great deal of time laughing.


Jesse and Sandra make a delicious meal and entertain!

After the first day the kayaking for me became a lot of fun. I'd find a rhythm and kind of zone out. The scenery is absolutely stunning, we spent our time paddling around Quadra and Reed Island making stops for lunch and to explore. We spotted Seals lazing on rocks and Eagles soaring overhead. Jesse would always inform us about what we were looking at, from Blue Herons to kelp made into popcorn by indigenous people.


Beautiful Clear Water.

Anna also spotted a dolphin, but no one believes her. Sorry Anna, but you can't be the only person to see a leaping dolphin, that would just be unfair.
Bret did find a snake in the creek right by our campsite on the first night at Open Bay. I was rather alarmed to see he'd just picked it up and carried it into the camp. But his wife Sue Ellen explained they had once had a collection of pet snakes at home, some had even gone missing in the house and been found months later by one of their children. When Bret and Sue Ellen later offered me a place to stay in North Carolina if I ever pass through, I shook my head from side to side vigorously.


Bret and a snake

Only joking Bret and Sue Ellen, I know you no longer have pet snakes so I'd love to visit! Did I mention I love to stay with locals for months at a time and observe?
On the second and third nights we set up camp at Freedom Point, this is on Reed Island (population 55) and juts out into the sea (hence the reference to a point in the name) towards Quadra Island. Beyond Quadra the snow capped mountains of Vancouver Island are visible.


The view from Freedom Point.

Campfire at Freedom Point

Gary helped me set up my tent on the second day. The camping area was in a wooded area with views on either side of the sea. As usual after setting up camp we all wandered around, chatted, took photo's and relaxed.
As dinner time approached we noticed Trevor hadn't returned from his nap. It was at this point our tranquil little world was suddenly very frightening. Richard came running into the kitchen area, he took Jesse to one side, Trevor was not sleeping but unconscious.
I don't really want to go into the details of everything that happened, as for one Trevor has only learned the details himself just recently. But I was very grateful for Sandra and Jesse's knowledge and how they dealt with the situation. Bret also did his part, even when sap fell from a tree into his hair while he was trying to keep Trevor awake! What a soldier. I'm making light of the situation because at the time it was very frightening for us all, particularly waiting for the coast guard to arrive. I'm very thankful Trevor is now well, although without prognosis.
We all missed Trevor (I didn't miss your snoring or Pommie bashing Trevor) and would always feel someone was missing from our little group.


The Group and no we weren't superimposed! It's my overactive flash and Zong-Wen has just run into frame from setting up his self timer too, he's not doing anything "funny". I'm sure he has a better photo of the group.

The group had a talented collection of singers too. Anna actually makes a living from singing and Sue Ellen has sung with professional choirs all over America. I myself cannot sing and not in the annoying way people say, "oh me sing? Oh no I can't sing" and then break into pitch perfect singing. No I mean I really can't sing, it even sounds bad to me. So it was a delight to listen to people who can really sing, although I had "O Canada" playing in my mind for the rest of trip.
Jesse also entertained us, not just by singing but recounting the tale "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert W. Service. It's an epic poem and Jesse gave a passionate account. I felt very inadequate, unable to sing or tell a story. I sat quietly and savoured every moment.
Even though I slept in a tent on my own, I'm pleased to say I only freaked out once, when I opened my tent at night, crept in and had the feeling someone was already in the tent. After shining my light frantically around the tent (it probably looked funny from the outside) I calmed myself and eventually fell asleep.
I feel very fortunate to have chosen this particular tour and at this particular time, as I really believe the people I met made the trip for me.
I got to hang out with Anna and Jenny a little longer, as we shared a hotel room on Quadra after the tour was over.
The next morning Bret and Sue Ellen kindly gave me a lift to Victoria. As a mother of six Sue Ellen obviously has a strong mothering instinct. Typically as they pulled up in front of the hostel in Victoria I had a reservation for, a group of very dodgy looking people where hanging outside. I could see Sue Ellen's look of worry. I pushed the homeless person's trolley aside and entered the hostel, very sad to say goodbye to my new friends.

Sky above Quadra Island, BC.
For those of you who want to check out more photo's from the kayaking trip, click on the Flickr emblem to the right.

3 comments:

athina said...

I found it!

It's called bookcrossing
(http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-bookcrossing.htm)
and it IS really cool. However, I've never seen a book like that, nor have I ever left one for anyone to read!

A.

athina said...

PS

Garreth, my English has turned into absolute shit and I didn't understand much in your comment. But I'll work on it!

Athina.

little chief said...

Don't worry about Gaz's "English" Athina, no one understands him.

x