Tuesday 21 August 2007

Miss Parrot Freaks Out in Hawaii Part II

I thought I'd break the post into two halves, so no one falls asleep. My flight arrived on time into Kona (one of the nicest airports I've ever used), I went to the luggage counter and filled out a form to arrange for my bag to be delivered to the farm I would be working at. I was told American Airlines staff don't arrive until the evening, so I'd receive the bag the following evening.
I gave Toivo (organic farm owner) a call (finding payphones was becoming a pain), he was waiting in the car park, so drove over to collect me. I expected it to be a little strange, meeting someone I'd only corresponded with via email, late at night. But I could see Toivo was very easy going, he was middle aged and told me a little about the island. We also chatted about Alaska, he'd lived on Kodiak Island for 15 years.
The farm was situated about 40 miles from the airport. We drove past some familiar fast food restaurants and then the roads became quieter. I asked if anyone else was volunteering at the moment. Not at this time. I knew this was often the case, there's a lot of work to be done, so there is normally a full staff and this is complimented during the year by Woofer's, as the volunteers are called.
Toivo started to point out a few small shops and an internet cafe, but we kept driving. I only had my daysack with me and that was mostly full with my laptop, camera and books. All the shops we were passing were closed so I knew I'd have to take a trip to one of the shops in the morning. I tried to keep track of where everything was located, but we continued to drive.
I became concerned when Toivo showed me the road he and his wife lived on, I was under the assumption they lived on the farm.
After a lot more driving we arrived at a small discreet unmarked driveway. Toivo explained "this is Evie's Farm". The car headlights lit up huge banana plants and other plantlife I couldn't identify.
The drive was only about 50ft. Toivo left his headlights on as there is only one electric bulb on site.
I guess when I hear the word "farm", I think sheds, fields, out housing that type of thing. Evie's Farm was very different. Toivo used a flashlight to show me around, I stumbled in the dark after him. Alarm growing, thinking what have I done?
I think Toivo hadn't been to the "farm" for a long time, he was surprised to see the tarpaulin covering the kitchen/store area had fallen down. He told me he worked on renovating homes and only a man worked on the "farm", but he wouldn't arrive until 4pm each weekday.

The kitchen/work area.

Toivo pointed his flashlight at the cabins, he said I could choose which one to stay in. But after he shone the light in one room, he quickly closed the door and directed me to a different cabin.
The cabin, had a large screened window, a double bed and a small table with a battery powered lamp.


The cabin.

Toivo muttered something about the last person leaving stuff behind, there were a lot of empty beer bottles and cigarette butts on the floor. The bed was filthy, with burn holes. I was amazed that neither Toivo nor his wife had checked the cabins out, between volunteers.
Toivo left me his flashlight. I'd shrewdly "borrowed" a blanket from the plane and lay this down on the bed. The realisation of my situation suddenly hit me, it was awful. Without the torch there was no light at all, yet I could here "things" scurrying about amongst the dry leaves under the cabin. I felt foolish for not saying to Toivo, I can't stay here. It was all a kind of delayed reaction.
I decided to try and get a grip, I just needed to get through the night and at first light I would start hiking to the nearest payphone.
Before leaving Toivo had told me to get around the island I could hitchhike, I had looked at him incredulously. But he said it was safe.
I can honestly say I've never been more terrified than last night. I bundled myself onto the bed and tried to think of nice places and firmly keep any creepy thoughts at bay. But who I am kidding? I have an incredibly over active imagination, thoughts raced through my mind all night.
What if the volunteer who had moved out was still around? What if some demented stranger broke into, I mean pushed open the cabin door. I had no way to protect myself and no idea how remote the farm was. The night crept by. I think it must have been fear, but I kept needing to pee. After trying to ignore my bladder for long periods of time, I'd eventually build up the courage to go outside. Only to find five minutes later I needed to go again.
I started to think, what if something did happen to me? No was even coming to the "farm' until 4pm, even then I'm not sure they would look in a cabin.
I'd ask Toivo what wildlife is there on the island. I had been surprised and pleased to hear there are no poisonous snakes. Mostly just wild pigs and rodents. I was so glad to hear Tovia say "rodents", had he said the other "r" word I'd probably still be in the cabin now, rocking myself back and forth. I can't explain why rats freak me out as much as they do, I know it's completely irrational, but that doesn't help.
I began to worry about the cabin next door, the one Tovio had shut the door to quickly, what had he seen? My imagination raced away with me.
I'd start to settle, when suddenly I'd hear a noise that sounded incredibly close and make me break out in a cold sweat.
I must have drifted off at times during the night, but when I started to hear the dawn chorus I felt elation. It was still fairly dark so I waited. It was then I heard a door shut. A human noise.
I was frozen in place, I slowly lifted my head to peer out the screen window, but all I could see were palm trees and the plantation. I heard coughing, it sounded like a heavy smoker had just woken.
Thanks to the little light, I started to think with some logic at last. It must be a neighbour I can hear. It was true, eventually I heard a car start and then drive away.

The driveway.

As light filtered into the room, I packed my bag and left Toivo's flash lamp on the table. Once outside the cabin I noticed owl's wings had been stuck to the side of the wall, as some kind of decoration. What the hell? It looked like something from a teen slasher movie.
I started the climb out of the drive, I didn't even try to get any water, the desire was so strong to get away from the place. Once I reached the road I realised the "farm" wasn't as remote as I'd thought during the night. In fact there were a number of properties along the road. I started to feel calmer.
Although there was no pavement along the road, I did meet a woman out jogging and an elderly gentleman out walking. My plan was to find a payphone and arrange a taxi to the airport. I wanted to get to my bag before it was sent to the "farm". Although I'm sure they couldn't have delivered to the address anyway.
I reached the first payphone after walking for half an hour. It was 6.30am. All the taxi numbers I tried I was greeted by answer phones. I decided to walk to the next payphone. At 7.45am I made it to a general store and managed to reach a company in Kona. It would cost $70, but they could collect me.
For some reason the dispatcher couldn't understand me when I said Karen, repeatedly. This happens all the time in the US.
The driver arrived about 30 minutes later, he was friendly and eager to tell me what to do on the island. We reached the airport about 30 minutes later, after I payed the driver he said "thank you Miss Parrot".
I have no idea how Karen, became Parrot, but there you go.
I had no trouble collecting my bag and then got a shuttle bus to the hostel I'm writing this from. I'm pleased to say there are other guests and no owls wings glued to the wall.


I have no plan for the remaining two and a half weeks I have on the island. I've met a friendly American guy in the hostel, he's hiring a car and has invited me to go to see some waterfalls with him tomorrow.
I'm sitting in a kitchen area, typing this, someone just walked in and I jumped out of my seat. I feel exhausted, I need to go to sleep.

5 comments:

athina said...

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

I hope you're feeling great again when you read this comment, it shouldn't take you more than 8-10 hours of deep sleep to get over all the frightening experience. A good night sleep always works miracles for me. Then you wake up, have a great breakfast and start enjoying the rest of your life, all else is history, right?

So, how is Hawaii day 3? Do you get to swim, see volcanos, have cocktails and live the life? You're doing perfectly fine in my opinion and, I mean, it's OK to have one scary incident in the few months you've been traveling around the world. You know, the WHOLE world! Tingles to even think about it!

Hugs from sunny hot Crete my dear, enjoy all you can!

Athina.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen

Hope all is better today?

Bizarrely you were in my dream last night! You had decided to make a short break from your trip to come back to the Wirral to see family and friends. You decided to give me a stuffed toy fox and a white kitten as birthday presents and your mum was taking millions of photographs of everyone! Perhaps this was a sign to tell me to check your blog site, or more likely means I am just the usual crazy self?!?

Helen

Garreth said...

Miss Parrot...

Too many jokes...don't know where to begin...

That does sound horrendous though, I had images of how I would have been had I been there... Probably coping worse than you if my experience in Galway at Martin's wedding last week was anything to go by. I spent my first night there in what I was assured was "the coolest room in the house." The house was a huge old creepy place, in the middle of nowhere and the next thing I discovered was that my room wasn't inside at all. It was actually away from the house, converted into a bedroom from what used to be a store room, complete with spiral staircase down to the freezing basement, with two doors in, neither of which could be locked. I slept for about an hour with the light on all night.

But at least I had a light. And there were no rodents. There must have been a ghost though, it was sooo creepy!

Anyway, Miss Parrot...

Anonymous said...

Well Miss Parrot, the noises that you heard coming from my tent weren't so bad after all. At least you hoped that it was me snoring and not a freight train coming through the side of your tent

Trevor

PS. No Rats or rodents but I do have a possum in the roof as a "pet"

little chief said...

Thank you all for your "concern" I'm happy to say I'm finally calm, although last night I stayed in a hostel with cockroaches.
I'd like to say this is all making me tougher, but if anything I've become a skittish wreck.
Trevor - doesn't your snoring frighten away the possum?
x