Friday 19 January 2007

Huh? You're here for what?

The sun is out and San Jose looks even more beautiful than yesterday, or is it that I'm more relaxed? I wandered around town yesterday and managed to get lost. Only two streets in the whole city have street signs, so the way to get around is to count blocks, but yesterday I was struggling to take everything in and I kept forgetting to count blocks. Anyway I got lost. San Jose's downtown area is pretty small so I soon found my way again. It also gave me a good sense of where everything is.
I've gotten to know my dorm-mates a little better. Vicky and I both having arrived this week are still on UK time. We had a good laugh last night about the fact our 60 year old American dorm-mate was out later than us, well I did crash about 9 o'clock. I think I'll have to take a nap today so I can stay up a little later!
Yesterday afternoon I took a tour of the National Museum. Although the exhibits are interesting and I learned a little about the history of Costa Rica, it was a small butterfly garden that I found most enchanting. It was wonderful to leave the busy streets and wander through tiny pathways with giant colourful butterflies flying close to me. A very calming effect indeed.
I've spoken to a few fellow travellers in the hostel, most are American or Canadian and are using San Jose as a springboard to the rest of Central America. However I did get chatting to a guy from Vancouver this morning. I asked the usual question, "Here for a holiday?" His response? "No, dental work". He went on to describe in great detail the difference in dental prices in Canada to Costa Rica, the type of work he's having done, two crowns, a filling and a polish. I've never found it so difficult to keep a straight face.

4 comments:

Garreth said...

It's Costa Rica for the dental work and Rio for the doctors. Didn't you know this? Joke's on you Chief...!

joany said...

hi karen good to hear your settling in apart from getting lost yesterday it just goes to show age is no barrier theres still hope for me yet take care love aunt joan

lilian said...

Hi Karen
great to here you have met some nice people we could do with some of that sun your having take care enjoy love aunt lill

Gayle Scott said...

Emily said......
whhhhhen are you going to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanother country, i want to move your picture on the map....xxxxxxxxxxxxx
i lllllllllloveeeee you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx