Saturday 27 January 2007

Another Great Day

As soon as my class finished at 11 I headed to my (temporary) home. At breakfast Marta had invited me to spend the day with her and her family. I knew I needed to return straight from class and needed a swimming costume. But I had no idea where we were headed. This even though I´d spent an hour (yes one whole hour) talking to my teacher in Spanish, about the Royal Family, politics, football, immingration and poverty. Now and again I´d be stuck, but generally the conversation flowed. But it´s different when I get back to the house, I only understand about 70% of what´s said, but in this case I missed the important part!
So at 11.30 we all packed into Luiz´s car (info for Harry -its an old red Hyundai) with drinks and food. We began driving away from the city. At one point I thought we were going to visit an oil refinery, as every building we passed was industrial. Eventually the road opened out to reveal more mountains and towns.
Forty minutes later we pulled into a private club, specifically for Spanish people. I suddenly realised why Luiz had his Spanish top on today. Even though Marta is 100% Tica she obviously embraces her husband´s culture. I think Luiz moved from Madrid about 30 years ago.
The club was really quite swanky, three swimming pools, a jacuzzi, saunas, basketball, tennis and volleyball courts, to name but a few of the activites on offer.
Unlike private British clubs where you´d never be allowed to enter with your own food, here it was positively encouraged. We staked a claim at one of the many open Kitchen/bbq/patio areas and Marta set up lunch thanks to a portable oven. We sat down to eat seafood linguine, but not until Luiz had said grace. They are a delightful family always smiling and joking. I don´t know if this is typical, but from what I´ve seen so far I think it is. I think in the UK you´d be hard pushed to find two 20 year old girls who´d gladly spend the day with their parents on a regular basis, like Analia and Lorna do.
After dinner we headed to the jacuzzi, I know not the best idea. It was very relaxing and once again I felt lucky. Later on we took a sauna and then relaxed by the pool. It´s a tough life.

No comments: