Friday 30 May 2008

Luang Prabang, Laos



Laos is the most heavily bombed country in history and yet arriving in the UNESCO protected city of Luang Prabang it was hard to believe. It's a tiny place, with a handicraft market taking up most of the centre each night, yet without the frenzy of a Thai market. There are plenty of tourists, yet it feels so laid back. In S.E. Asia Laos has a reputation as being quite a lazy nation, if something isn't fun they don't see why you should do it.
Luang Prabang is bordered by the Nam Song and the Mekong rivers, it's streets are lined with colonial buildings, vintage cars and Buddhist monks.
While in Luang Prabang I bumped into Aretha (who I originally met in Thailand) we would end up travelling through Laos together, with others we met on the way. It was a lot of fun.
My time in Luang Prabang was chilled out, wandering through the market and visiting temples with great views of the city.

Views from the top of Luang Prabang out towards the Nam Song river.

Dinner on the Mekong at Sunset

Luang Prabang street scene

2 comments:

athina said...

Hey girl, I didn't even have the time to read your latest posts, just wanted to tell you that I wrote you an e-mail and it came straight back. I suppose you yoshimipink (or something like that) address doesn't seem to work anymore and I haven't got any other one for you, apart from the one at the bbc. Whenever you get the time e-mail me something at yahoo or otenet so that I can save your address and send you that e-mail again.

Thanks, keep it up and stop making out with elephants in front of your mum!

A.

little chief said...

Email on it's way!