Thursday 22 May 2008

Bangkok

I was slightly apprehensive heading to Bangkok, my aim was to get to know the city so I would find it familiar on my return, as Bangkok will be my last stop; my flight to the UK leaves the capital 11th June.
On my arrival (on another night bus), I found everyone I met to be a travel agent. It's not uncommon for security guards, tuk-tuk drivers and just about any member of the public to be working for a guesthouse. It starts with "Where are you from?" "Oh, Micheal Owen!" Or some such footballer is mentioned and then casually it moves on, "Do you have somewhere to stay?" After naming a guesthouse, they wrinkle their noses and frown, sometimes this is followed by mimicing the act of shooting up. "No, no you should stay at such and such, my sister was there just the other week, it's a great place, let me show you".
This is all fine and well, but what really annoys me and has happened a few times, is when the walking saint/tout takes my guide book off me and starts DRAWING on the map! I've started pretending to be Hindu and finding this an outrage, but with little effect.

Tuk-tuk driver

Anyway after batting off guesthouse agents from all angles I checked into a guesthouse in the Siam Square area of the city.
Bangkok has so many sides, ancient and modern stand side by side, everything seems chaotic and then you turn a corner and find peace and quiet, rich and poor, huge corporations and street vendors, everything sizzles with energy.
For the three days I spent in Bangkok I managed a trip to the Grand Palace, Reclining Buddha, a river boat ride, skytrain to the weekend markets and the huge shopping centre MBK and a look around Jim Thompson's home. Not bad really.

Jim Thompson's home

Skytrain Platform

View from the back of a tuk-tuk

Me at the Grand Palace

Reclining Buddha

No comments: