Thursday 20 March 2008

Mackay, unlucky seat 8A and the Harrisons.

47 hours or so on the Premier coach (the cheapest way to travel the East Coast) from Brisbane to Mackay and it rained most of the way. I understand it's the rainy season, but expected this to change upon my arrival in the region or for the rain to only fall at night, someone didn't get the message. Of the 48 seats on board, I managed to choose the one with a leak above it. I woke up at 3am from a dream about falling into a waterfall to focus on a steady stream of water dripping onto my knees from a vent above.
I managed to climb over the person next to me, who had set up home somewhat like an underpass dweller in some inner city, who regarded me with disdain as I struggled past her and her belongings. I told the driver, who was wearing the regulation uniform of ridiculously short shorts, (what is it with Australians and Benny Hill style uniforms?), that I had a leak above my seat. His reply, "8A? Yeah I know the one." Great.
The driver had two empty seats behind him with his personal belonging on. I asked (being English and ridiculously polite) if I could remove myself and my belongings from the wet seat and move to one of the lovely dry seats behind him. He crumpled one side of his face and told me that the seats behind him are reserved for emergencies. I scowled and didn't wait for a reply, but collected my things from 8A and tried to get back to sleep (unsuccessfully) in my new seat.
We pulled into Mackay at around 8am. I have never before seen so much rain, getting off the bus and stepping onto the pavement had the same effect as taking a plunge in the Thames.

The rain falls in Mackay, check out the uniform.

I couldn't get a seat on the coach leaving Mackay for Airlie Beach, as the road had been closed due to flooding the day before and too many people where waiting to get out of Mackay. I was about to see why.
I checked into the oddest hostel yet. As the rain continued to fall and the ground water rise, I waited in a communal room of the hostel trying to watch a TV that kept loosing it's signal because of the rain. Yes it was raining THAT much.
I discovered no other travellers in the hostel, only miners. Everyone was friendly, actually in a "friendly way" that borders on obsession and causes a deep seated fear for one's life.

Another photo that fails to capture the amount of rain falling.

Sian and her parents where staying at a campsite on one of Mackay's Northern beaches. After some texting back and forth, Sian suggested I stay with them that night. I ran for my life, okay slight exaggeration, but it really was a creepy hostel. I even left without informing the management, I was so shaken, or was that concerned about having to pay for a night?
Anyway the rain stopped, so Sian and I walked around Mackay and discovered there really isn't much to see in Mackay, sorry Stu I know you want your "namesake" to be a hip and interesting city, but it just isn't. It was obviously founded by the uncool arm of the Mackay family, with little imagination and a genuine love of the grid system.
I met Sian's parents, who kindly took me in. I had to hide in the back of their camper van as it is illegal to have more than 3 adults on board. I felt like a hostage and began to try and memorise the glipses of passing scenery I could see from my hunched position on the floor by the sink, the Harrison family were surprised when I rolled out the back of the camper bound and gagged.
The campsite was by a great beach, the tide was out and a huge expanse of sand and creatures were on display. I don't know why but I have no photo's, so you can use your imaginations.
The rain started again and there was real concern we would be trapped in Mackay! I was due to take the Premier bus the following morning to Airlie Beach and the Harrisons (calling them that makes them sound like a 70's Folk band on a revival tour) would leave in their camper van.
Sian and I intended to sleep in a tent next to the camper van, but after a few hours and several feet of water, we feared we may be carried into the sea and moved into the camper van. We slept in the "children's" area above the main bed, while Sian's parents tried to sleep below. Despite the storm going on outside and sleeping on my back with my legs bent at the knee, I actually had an amazing night's sleep.
Thankfully we were not trapped in Mackay and could make our separate journey's onto Airlie Beach. To be continued.

No comments: