Friday 21 March 2008

Airlie Beach

The rain continued to fall, but my bus arrived in Airlie Beach without a hitch. I met up with Sian and her parents and we all ended up in the same hostel.
Airlie Beach is a springboard to the Whitsundays, a group of islands with white sandy beaches and beautiful clear waters. Or so I'm told.
I didn't make it out to the islands, in part due to lack of money, but also because of awful weather I hung around Airlie Beach instead. The week before the area had been cut off due to flooding. Although this is the wet season (December to April roughly), record levels of rain have fallen. A few weeks ago a yacht sunk off the Whitsundays, there were no casualties.

The Marina near Airlie Beach

I met some great people at the hostel I stayed at, but apart from that my stay in Airlie Beach was uneventful. I chatted with an Australian girl travelling the East Coast (something of a novelty) and she told me to try Moreton Bay Bugs. They are a local seafood speciality, she described them as being similar to mini lobsters.
Moreton Bay Bugs are not within most backpackers budgets, but thanks to the offer of lunch with the Harrisons (yes still on the "monsoon tour") I was able to try them.
I can't say they reminded me of lobster, I think they were more like prawns. I had them in a really spicy sauce and they were delicious. Sian's parents were leaving later that day and from Airlie Beach, Sian and I would travel to Cairns in the camper van.

Me and my Morton Bay Bugs.


The Harrisons!

No comments: