Saturday 8 March 2008

Brisbane

I arrived in Brisbane in need of a job. I managed to do a little sightseeing while sending out emails and resumes. The central business district is like any other, with a few interesting buildings. The majority of the cities museums and galleries are on the South Bank. I'm not sure if the South Bank was based on London's South Bank, but the buildings are very similar. Not particularly attractive, concrete blocks, but a style I like none the less.

State Library Building at Dusk

Brisbane at Night.

I was feeling rather indecisive about staying for a number of weeks in Brisbane, even though I had some good responses on the work front, I felt I would be spending a lot on accommodation. It's also not so easy to get to a beach or a national park without your own transport, so I would have to spend much of my time in the city. So with that I decided to take a bus to Airlie Beach and meet up with Sian. Sian had been travelling up the East Coast with her parents and had offered me a ride in their camper van from Airlie (where her parents flight departed) to Cairns.
Before leaving Brisbane I managed to visit the world's largest book sale, Bookfest! The event was in aid of charity and took over a huge exhibition centre, I have a rather out of focus shot below. This was one of 8 areas selling second hand books.


I picked up a few bargains and managed a night out in Brisbane before catching a bus north.

Free Champagne for the Ladies at Tinbilly's

Sjenjana (yes trying saying that after a few champagnes) and a really funny Japanese guy.

2 comments:

athina said...

Hey woman, now that's what I call a TAN! Wow! Make sure you use sunblock, downunder is a dangerous part of the world to sunbathe in!

I miss swimming so much but it's still early to start it here, there's still loads of snow on the mountains and the temperature is still chilly. But it's gonna get warmer eventually so I'll catch up with a tan at some point!

I should write you and extensive email one of these days, although my news is more or less the same, we'll see. So, keep going keep going keep going and keep enjoying yourself as much as you possibly can. How many months of traveling have you got left? Do you reckon you might extend it a bit (or a lot)? Are you sure you won't include a quick visit to Crete on your way back?

All the love and stuff, hugs and hurrays!

Athena.

little chief said...

Hey,
It's funny you think I'm tanned, I've obviously lost all perspective as I feel quite pale!

I'm awaiting my extensive email, I want to know what's going on. Unfortunately I won't be able to add Crete to my RTW ticket, but how about a trip to the UK this summer? You may need a break from the Greek heat!

Karen
x