Sunday 30 March 2008

Cinema Patrons Must Declare All Weapons

Besides eating at the Woolshed and playing endless games of cards, Sian and I also discovered another way to pass some time in Cairns. We wanted to watch a movie, but this can be quite expensive in Australia ($15 admission fee), so when we saw a movie marathon advertised for $20 for three films we thought why not?
The three films were Sweeney Todd, I am Legend and Rogue, the latter is an Australian movie about a giant crocodile attacking unsuspecting tourists in the Northern Territories, it made Anaconda look like a work of art.
The first film started at 11.30pm, so we took a rucksack full of sugary snacks and fizzy drinks, the only chance of us falling asleep would be if we fell into a diabetic coma.
We arrived at the cinema entrance to a scene that suggested the sale of Nimbus 2000's, every teen in Cairns was queuing outside the cinema.
It was as we stood with some teens that we noticed the security. There was not only the cinema's own crack security team, but also police officers on patrol. Our first thought, "are they going to make us pore away the Pepsi?" Actually this was my first thought, being somewhat of a Pepsi Max addict. I thought "they can prize it from my dead cold hands".
Once we'd stood around for about an hour, we made it to the security post, an officer was checking all liquids for alcohol. One canny young scamp had filled his camelback with vodka, I thought he should have been admitted for his ingenuity alone.

Breaking through security

The timid looking officer searching Sian's bag was horrified to discover a mini pink Swiss army knife, he immediately impounded it, god knows what stabbing frenzy she may have committed if he wasn't so vigilant.
When we eventually made it into the theatre we were surrounded by teenagers all yakking themselves into a frenzy. A cinema official took to the stage and for the first time in my life I was warned inflating condoms and hitting them into the crowd would result in me being ejected from the cinema. Damn they were onto me, my usual entertainment was foiled. What could I do now, watch the movies and concentrate on staying awake? How boring.
I'm not sure if I did fall asleep or not, but I'm pretty sure I am Legend had no middle or end.
At almost 5am we walked in a daze back to our hostel, having collected Sian's collection of weapons and vowing never to return to a movie marathon in Cairns.

No comments: