Wednesday 14 March 2007

I´m High!

At 3500m´s Cusco is quite the city. I flew in from Lima yesterday, although I still feel quite out of breath, I think I´ve escaped the worst of altitude sickness. My plan for today was to take it easy, but it´s hard to stay indoors when there is a new place to explore and Cusco has much to offer.
It gets very cold at night here, so having slept in my fleece last night I decided it was time to buy some warmer clothes. I haven´t needed any winter clothes in the past two months, I have plenty of T-shirts and shorts, so today was for shopping.
Most of the backpackers here look ridiculous. Seriously who would ever think it a good idea to buy pink cotton striped trousers and a multi-coloured poncho? Oh and everything has to be alpaca. I don´t have anything against alpaca, but really is there a need for every colour in the rainbow in one jumper? Everyone looks like a children´s television presenter.
So it was with caution I began shopping. Many shops burn incense (got to draw those hippies off the street), with the lack of air and the strong smell I coughed my way out of those shops. Cusco really is wall to wall alpaca, but I think I´ve managed to hold on to my dignity. I found the one jumper in Cusco, without the rainbow effect, a green scarf and I also have a bag made of hemp. I know who am I to ridicule, I have a bag made of hemp. It was one of those purchases that made no sense whatsoever, I just had to have it. Really it looks great on me, it was begging to be bought. But I draw a limit with hemp bags only, well and a little purse, it´s so cute. I also bought a long sleeved t-shirt, I had to buy something in a shop called "Toppy Top".
Now I´m bankrupt I intend to stay in my dorm and eat noodles, but at least I´ll be warm.


She really doesn´t look happy...


The view from my dorm.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the multi-coloured jumpers is a sign.... that maybe you are destined to be a childrens tv presenter when you return?!?
Helen

little chief said...

Oh I hope not Helen, the Blue Peter phone in scandal has made it to Peruvian television, well BBC World. I wouldn´t want such a scandalous occupation!

Jonathan Harley said...

You could be a clothes model. I was hoping for a picture of you modelling the new gear!

Lucie said...

Cool pictures... keep up the good work. Are you uploading more to flickr?

Although I would like to see one of you sporting your new hippy bag. (please don't come back with dreads)


L
x

Gayle Scott said...

I remembered Mother's Day did you?

Caitlin Gorman said...

Hello, its Emily!
We are at Caitlin and Connal's for tea! Where are you?
xxx

little chief said...

Ah, I thought it was Mother´s Day next weekend...

Emily I´m back in Cusco, but when you typed the comment I was in the Sacred Valley, walking up lot´s of steps and puffing and panting a lot!

xx

little chief said...

Jon, the pics are for you!

Lucie, I´ve been uploading to flickr when I can, but the internet connection tends to be quite slow. So I´m copying full memory cards to cd.

xx

Garreth said...

I remembered Mothers Day.