Sunday 11 February 2007

Update

On Friday night the Dominguez family took me out to a local restaurant/bar for my final night with them. They even gave me a present, a beautiful sarong. I think they must have noticed I don't have that many clothes! (But Gaz I do have more than one t-shirt, honest).
After giving me the present, we all piled into a taxi, well if you can call it that. I think it's a family friend, with a Duke´s of Hazzard style car. It was cool. Marta told the taxi driver he was going the wrong way (sound familiar Mum?) and directed him in a massive circle. But eventually we made it. The place was packed, everyone was watching Costa Rica play Guatemala. It was a brilliant atmosphere, thanks to a 3-1 victory.
After the match finished the lights were lowered and a band performed Salsa, Merenga type music. It was so different to watching a match in a pub in England, I just can't see everyone doing the tango after a win. Well at the moment I can't imagine a win, but anyway less of that.
It was really sad to say goodbye on Saturday morning. Marta gave me a list of phone numbers in case I have any problems. I think I have the phone numbers for most medical facilities in the country. I will definitely keep in touch with the family.
I´m now back were I started this trip on the 17th January, at the Costa Rican Backpackers hostel in central San Jose. There are a lot more English here this time, but I'm trying to keep talking Spanish, whether people understand me or not!
Last night we were all entertained by a drum band from El Salvador, while the Guatemalan guy (who's been stuck here for 2 months as his passport was stolen), danced with fire. I would like to post some photo's, but for some reason the computer doesn't like my camera.
Tomorrow morning I set out early for the turtle reservation. I don't expect to be online for the next 2 weeks. So I imagine my next post will be from Quito around 26th/27th February. Take care all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Karen,
Wayne here thought I'd drop by and say hello, been catching up with your blogs of your travels and have a touch of jealousy! Hope your having a goodtime travelling I'll send you a reference to your email address.....

Enjoy!

little chief said...

Thanks Wayne, glad I'm making you jealous! Hope everyone is well at OB's,