Monday 5 February 2007

My weekend

On Friday as soon as my class finished at 11am I took a taxi to downtown (I´m sorry I´m hanging around too many Americans) San Jose and bought a bus ticket for Montezuma. Actually it took 3 buses and 1 ferry to reach the beach resort of Montezuma, but it was well worth the hassle. Transport in Costa Rica is amazingly cheap, this 5 hour journey cost under 4 pounds. As soon as a reached the port of Puteranas (some 2 hours from San Jose) I realised I was in a new region. San Jose is nestled in the Central Valley. Now I can make the only connection I can think of between San Jose and the Wirral, neither have extremes in weather, ah those mountains or hills...
Anyway I made my way to the ferry terminal in Puteranas and proceeded to melt under the heat. The ferry terminal was really confusing, but evetually I had a ticket to board the Tambor II, I tried not to think of the fate of the first Tambor.
Harry I´ve added a photo above of all the cars driving onto the ferry. Once I´d counted past 50 I decided it best to look away.
After 2 more buses I arrived in Montezuma. Montezuma is described as a cheap hippie beach resort in every guide book I´ve come across. Obviously hippies have changed, for one the "Montezuma hippie" wears Raybans, they also drive quadbikes along the beach (more Ozzy Osbourne than Joan Baez), but like all good hippies they like a good bannana and bran muffin for breakfast.
I stayed at a beautiful hotel, I opted for a dorm for 5 pounds for 2 nights. Most of the hotel was double and single cabinas, there were only two dorm rooms. The dorms had a huge verandah. But the coolest thing about the hotel were the monkeys. They were everywhere, Kev you would hate it!
For me that is the best thing about Montezuma, yes there is a great beach (and I took my first dip in the Pacific), but the wildlife is amazing. Parrots, iguanas, Costa Rican squirrels (red with black stripes), monkeys and many things I sadly can´t name.
A cool weekend.

Okay for some reason Blogger won´t let me post photo´s. I will try in a separate post. But if it doesn´t work I´ll add them to my Flickr account.

No comments: