Wednesday 28 February 2007

Ecuador

I arrived in Quito on Monday, the flight from Costa Rica was thankfully none eventful. Although there was a small earthquake before I left San Jose.
Quito is a beautiful city. All the streets are extremely steep and the city is surrounded by looming mountains and volcanoes. There are many beautiful squares and colonial buildings. I´m really glad I´m staying in the Old Town, as it is full of character and beautiful, if exhausting walks.
I have felt a little sick and tired due to the altitude, so I haven´t done many trips from Quito. Luckily where I´m staying there is plenty going on, I have just watched a typical Ecuadorian band play on the terrace.
Today I did manage a trip out to the center of the world, the equator line. Thanks to the French the monument is in the wrong place! However this did not stop me having a cheesy photo, half in the Northern hemisphere and half in the Southern. There is a museum on the real equator line (some 400 metres away from the "faux" line) where you can do all little experiments, like balancing an egg on a nail and watching water fall vertically on the equator line. I also went to a really small museum, where a very passionate man told me how the pre-Inca monument is on the actual point that marks the center of the earth. This monument was only discovered 9 years ago, but the government does little to preserve or fund research on the site. I have added some photo´s to my flickr account, but I´m feeling too lazy right now to post them here.
I´ve signed up for a 2 hours Spanish class in the morning, then it´s onto BaƱos a resort town with lots of activities. I´ll post again soon, hopefully with photo´s.

3 comments:

Garreth said...

Hey there

I'm not sure I understand the significance of balancing an egg on a nail at the Equator but it all sounds really cool and the hostel looks superb. Almost as nice as the hostel on New Cross High Street that drunk people tend to urinate outside of alot of the time. Sorry for not replying to your email yet, been busy, what can I say? Will reply soon! Nice to have you back in touch!

britoutofwater said...

I had a few minutes before I have to go out and wondered to myself "I wander if Karen has anything up on her blog yet?" It was clearly longer ago than I remembered that I last checked...

It looks like you're having a fabulous time and the photos are amazing.

What are your plans? How much longer will you be in South America and when are you coming up to visit? I can't promise anything as exciting as a volcano or turtles but we could perhaps find a rodeo...

little chief said...

Gaz
Yes I´m sure you have been ¨busy´´, urinating outside of hostels I imagine, email me!

Pennie,
I´ve just sent you an email, a rodeo sounds very exciting to me, especially if it´s an inmate rodeo!