Thursday 3 January 2008

The Working World

I took an overnight bus from Melbourne to Sydney, admittedly not the best way to arrive in the city. Gabi whom I met at Iguazu Falls (Argentina) back in May lives in Coogee, a gorgeous beach suburb of Sydney, she kindly put me up for a few nights while I found somewhere to stay for the holiday period. Most backpackers know to book in advance for accommodation over the festive season, many places are booked by September. So I was hoping to find something fast.

Coogee

Coogee has the feel of a seaside town, but is only a twenty minute bus ride from the city centre. I felt a little stressed first arriving in Sydney knowing I had to find a job and somewhere to stay, but it was always a relief to be able to walk down to the beach and relax for a while.
Many hostels put up their prices over Christmas and New Year, and many expect a 7 or even 10 night minimum stay. Thankfully I found the Coogee Beach House. It's a really well run hostel, with local staff, that amazingly remember every guests name. Many guests are working, so most people stick around for a while. I've met some really nice people here and it was a great place to be over the holidays.
I signed up with quite a few agencies in the city and within a couple of days had a job in a call centre. Thankfully I wasn't harassing people, but rather answering calls for a publishing company for magazine subscriptions. Unfortunately it's a very busy call centre, before Christmas we would have 20 calls waiting constantly, so many of irate customers.
There are many fellow backpackers working in the call centre, at times customers can wonder if they are calling England, Ireland, Canada, Wales or the US. But then I think Australians are used to the foreign influx of workers. One rather elderly customer asked me, "What part of the Old Country are you from?"
It made me feel like I'd arrived on a boat...He was quite pleased with my answer. He told me he doesn't like some of those "other countries" and if it was up to him he'd shoot the lot. It was a lovely conversation.
When I first started training I sat by an America girl. It sounded very funny when she'd ask "You want to buy your Mother a copy of Gardening Australia?!!" As if it were the dirtiest magazine on the planet.
I've mostly been fielding questions about diaries and other free gifts. It amazes me how angry people can get about a free diary, it's like they are chasing the holy grail.



No comments: