Sunday 2 September 2007

The Road to Hana

I'm now on the island of Maui. It's more developed than the Big Island, but there are still some beautiful places to visit.
I've been hanging out with a Swiss guy, called Markus. Markus has hired a car, so on Wednesday we drove to Hana. The route to Hana is quite famous, it follows a coastal road that passes waterfalls, caves, lava tubes, black and red sand beaches and some beautiful forests.

Hawaiian Tree, okay that's my way of saying I don't know the name of the tree.

It reminds me of the South of France, everything is very green and lush. We stopped at Red Sand Beach, to sunbathe and swim. It was a hike to the beach along a cliff hugging pathway, but the beach was well worth the hike. I led the way to find a spot on the beach to lay down our towels, I didn't notice the middle-aged naked man when I decided to put my towel down next to him. Markus gave me a funny look, I thought what's wrong with this spot? It wasn't until naked guy got a phone call and decided the only way to talk is to walk back and forth along the shoreline, that I noticed his "lack of clothing".
It was getting very hot and I decided I'd brave the water. I had to wait until naked guy was at the other end of the beach before I could make a dash for the sea.

Red Sand Beach

The water was wonderfully cool and for a while I enjoyed swimming, that was until I noticed a dark shape moving close to my leg. Suddenly I no longer wanted to be in the water, but naked guy was blocking my access to my towel. I was stuck.
In the end I took my chances with the sharks. I'm tough like that.

See it's not just all in my imagination.

Markus is used to driving on tight winding roads, however no matter how far I travel, I still get travel sick. So on the way back to Wailuku, Markus pulled over for me to be sick. Unfortunately as this is a road chocker block with photo opportunities when the five cars behind us saw us pull in, they followed! Someone actually offered to take our photo, as I clung to the road railing, deathly pale.

Church made from coral and lava.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how long did you have to stay in the ocean until the naked man block your path and you HAD to walk past him hehehehehehe

Trevor

little chief said...

Thankfully he headed to the bushes after about 10 minutes, I'm trying to focus on NOT thinking about what he was doing in the bushes!

Anonymous said...

hi karen.
it's so nice to see your still going and have a geat time, keep up the good work.
we're in langaley now, what can i say, has it's good points and bad.
and we're up for sale, any chance of joining you.
mark of good's-in, but hoping to get out soon !!!!!!