Monday 24 September 2007

Kiwi Experience So Far

Apologies for the lack of posts, I've found it incredibly difficult to get online and the past week and a half has been really hectic. You'll be pleased to hear I haven't had to do the Macarana, well some of you.
We left Auckland early on 17th and headed to Mount Eden, to get a last look at the city before heading off towards Mercury Bay.
For a city of 1.4 million, Auckland seems to end very fast and we soon found ourselves on empty country roads, travelling through the odd small town. We stopped in Thames for lunch and I had my first taste (no pun intended) of trying to find something without meat for lunch. An Irish woman (Suzanne) I met on the bus is also a vegetarian, we searched together, but we ended up with cakes. Bakery's are very popular here, they mostly sell meat pies and cakes, it's kind of like the UK 20 years ago. Just terrible, there was no brie and grape pannini's in sight! Somehow we soldiered on to Mercury Bay.

Me at Mercury Bay

We hiked to Cathedral Cove and this gave us all a chance to get to know each other. I think there were about 20 people on this first part of the leg and at least 12 were from the UK. Everyone was very friendly (what else would you expect from Brits?) and keen to get to know one another.
Cathedral Cove is very beautiful, the boys played rugby (all anyone ever talks about here), while a few brave souls ventured into the water.

Cathedral Cove

We then headed onto Hot Water Beach. I think this beach is unique to New Zealand, because of the geothermal activity below the beach, if you dig a little hot pools of water are revealed. The water is incredibly hot, but if you create a pool and mix in some cold sea water it can be quite pleasant.

Me, Sylvia and Julie sample Hot Water Beach

We all stayed in a new hostel in Whitianga (Fit-e-ang-a) and had a meal together on the first night. It's nice to be travelling with other people, although it's strange to have no real say in what we do day to day. I do feel I'm learning a lot more about Maori culture than I would have done travelling on my own. I think travelling with Kiwi has been the right decision.

4 comments:

Gayle Scott said...

It all sounds fantastic, Harry would fit in easily with meat pies and cakes to live on. You look very brown and well.... not at all jealous xx

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories! I stood on the very same beach, and have an identical picture of cathedral cove. Although I was on a tamer version of the kiwi experience, stray travel, which have since gone bust i think. Anyways, have fun...

Anonymous said...

Little Pom,
I can not believe that you went to Hot Water beach and DIPPED your toes in the water. You are meant to have a relaxing bath. Trust that you are enjoying yourself seeing the lovely NZ. Napier you can do a walking tour of the buildings with a map from the Tourist information or you can go on a tour with "BERTIE", but he sounded to much like a POM for me to handle.
Catch you soon. Don't arrive in Melb before Oct 30 as I will be in Germany for the week prior :-)

Trevor

little chief said...

Harry would indeed love the pies, they have no vegetables whatsoever in them!

Rosie, Stray are still going strong, but they don't cover the East Coast and of course don't appeal to drunk 19 year olds!

Don't worry Trevor, will be second week in November, but will do some planning now I'm back online and get in touch.
ps - I loved Napier.