Saturday 24 November 2007

The Next Installment


The Road Ahead
Apologies for the time between posts, but working this week has given me little free time, but don't worry I've quit!
However I do have work lined up picking cherries at a farm in the Yarra Valley (not far from Melbourne) starting on Wednesday. Tomorrow I have to register with the Harvest Trail and stock up on supplies before I head out to the farm on Tuesday. But first to re-cap on the last 4 weeks in Australia.
On our second day we travelled through Adelaide and found a free campsite (well actually a lay by at the side of the road) near Lake Albert, north of Adelaide. It was quite cold so we were looking forward to the following days drive into the Outback, just north of Port Augusta.

Sian Busy Cooking

We found the driving easy, we both took it in turns so the distances never felt too great. We also bought an i-trip devise, so we could listen to the music on our ipods via the camper's stereo.

Our Camper at Sunset

As soon as we stepped out of the camper van in Port Augusta we were hit by a wave of heat. We bought food and water for the next few days of driving and filled up the tank, before heading out into the Outback towards the Opal Mining town of Coober Pedy. But first someone had to turn 31. Unfortunately another year has passed, and I can't quite believe I'm 31. However the past year has been amazing and spent like no other.
I decided where better to spend my 31st Birthday but in the outback town of Pimba, population 35. We found another great free site, this time in front of a service station, motel and bar. It was hot enough when we arrived (late afternoon) to use the outdoor showers, a novel way to get a tan. The water is dispensed from a hose pipe poking out of a breeze block wall. Thankfully the sun had taken the edge of the water, it wasn't quite freezing cold.

Glorious Pimba!

After a very refreshing shower, Sian cooked a great meal and we celebrated my birthday. I was also presented with a carrot cake and candles, a brilliant birthday.

My Birthday Dinner

No comments: