Tuesday 15 May 2007

Ilha Grande

I spent the last week on an island off the coast of Rio de Janeiro State called Ilha Grande. The whole island is a national park. It originally held a political prison, but this was destroyed in the late 60's. Now the island's main industry is tourism and fishing. Cars are not allowed on the island, so it's a great place to trek. There are a series of well signposted walks on the island, some take you to remote beaches, past lush vegetation with the sounds of monkeys squealing above, past waterfalls and fresh water pools.
It's the low season so the island was fairly peaceful, but unfortunately the weather was a little hit and miss. I've now returned to Rio as there is still much for me to see here. I'll post a little more about Ilha Grande later, for now some photo's.


Beach life.



What can I say, some hostels are very nice.



The boats at Abraao.

6 comments:

Lucie said...

This arty shoe shot has made me think the sun might be getting to you, please wear a hat.

L
x

Garreth said...

Well Lucie if only the "arty" shots were limited to the blog... Long before she ever went travelling, I remember many a photo that was supposed to mean something, but was just a bit weird. An upside down butterfly wing, an extreme close up of a hubcap, it's just a bit, well, "arty."

By the way, that scenery is weirdly similar to my views here in New Cross.

little chief said...

I think you are both jealous of what I will now refer to as my `flip-flop phase`, my work is very important to me.
And no Gaz I haven't forgotten what New Cross looks like.

Lucie said...

Gaz, have you seen this one on Flickr?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71377087@N00/479065167/in/set-72157600161763766/

Yes, fake that’s what I thought too.

Hate to break it to you Gaz, this ‘traveling’ thing has all been an elaborate ploy to ditch her mates.

(Karen your photoshop skills are improving, although the lighting just looks a bit wrong on this one)


L
x

little chief said...

But that's my favourite photo! I actually look tanned, I obviously need to recreate the falls for all my future photo's by spraying myself with water before posing.

xx

Lucie said...

I'm sure there is a fake waterfall filter somewhere!

x